Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The KEY to losing weight...

and keeping it off, is utilizing a food diary.

Research has shown that people who lose significant amounts of weight and keep it off for years (or indefinitely...I like to put myself in that category) are the ones who kept a food diary.

A food diary can be as simple as logging what you eat and the approximate or actual amounts of every single bite of food you put in your mouth in a little notebook or even in a word document on your computer. Or it can be as involved as an Excel spreadsheet.

Or you could use an online meal plan/food diary service such as mine. You can see my online personal training and weight management plans page here.

I prefer simple but you should choose whichever method that works best for you.

If you are serious about losing weight then you either need to follow a weight loss plan to the tee or you must follow one, making food substitutions where you want (i.e. chicken for pork, spinach for celery)and keeping track of it in some way. Most people do really well with the latter method.

Here is a good article about the science behind keeping a food journal.

And when you're ready to start on your weight loss journey, I'm here to help!

3 comments:

Susan said...

A food diary is VERY helpful in tracking what you are really eating. Often we think we are eating way less than we actually are. I track one week randomly ... about one in 6 to 8 weeks where I write down on one sheet of paper, in a grid format, each meal and snack and all beverages. It gives me a good overview to keep me on track wihout having to always write things down which I find tedious. Usually this 'jump start' is enough to inspire a new trend until the next check-in. Thankfully, it's summer and there is lots of fresh fruit available, so my snacks are automatically healthier and my calorie intake lower.
Sue

Jennifer Skinner said...

Like Steve, I have a hard time keeping a food diary. Come to think of it, I have a hard time keeping any kind of regular diary. I should think about starting up this practice though, to see what kind of a difference it makes. Thanks for the great info!

Jennifer Skinner
www.JenniferSkinnerOnline.com

Trisha said...

I agree, it does help. I've done it before.