Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Motivating Dieters

Successful dieting is not just about what to eat and how to exercise, but from the effort it takes to achieve it.

I have been teaching a weight management class for the past 4 years. My classes, in general, have been highly successful. On average my students, which range from 5 to 15 women per session (7 weeks), lose around 125 to 200 lbs. as a group. The average body fat percentage lost as a group is around 22 to 25%.

I like to think that my students' success is because I'm such an inspiring and amazing teacher. I do think part of that is true. I think part of it is my success story motivates my students to become an after' as well.

The real reason for my students' success is that they start to believe that they will be successful. No matter how much I stress positive thinking and positive self-talk there is almost always at least one lady (sometimes two or three) I just can't seem to help. I have to step back and let everyone make the decision to believe in themselves on their own, my only job is to love and support them to the point they can takeover where I leave off. I also like to tell my students that they should inspire and help each other along the way.

My current weight management class of 7 women lost an amazing 30.5 lbs. and 7.2% (or ~ 21 lbs.) of body fat in just the first week! Everyone lost weight and body fat. They have started realizing that what I'm teaching them works if they will just follow the plan. I am extremely proud of them.

So many times my students will tell me and anyone who will listen that I'm the reason they were successful. And that's just not the truth. I wasn't the one feeding them, or preparing their meals and snacks, or working out for them. They were the ones who did it. I just gave them the tools, motivation and support.

It's nice to hear my ladies praising me but their praise is misdirected. They should be praising themselves that they took initiative to become healthier and followed it through to success. It is humbling for anyone to say that I'm responsible for their success but I refuse to take credit. It was their individual effort that made them successful, I just stood back and cheered and answered some questions now and then.

If you have succeeded at becoming more fit you probably tell everyone who wants to know exactly what program, workout, book, trainer, or diet you followed. There is so much information out there to help anyone succeed and it's great when others are inspired by someone's (yours maybe?) story.

However, you and I both know that it was your own inner resolve, determination and working at it day by day that is the real reason for your success.

2 comments:

Matthew Shields said...

Sabrina,
It's great that you can look at such amazing results you must have a very motivational personality
focus your energy
Matthew Shields

Sheridan Randolph said...

Those results are terrific. I wish I could refer people, but it's kind of a long commute from Tennessee!
Sheridan
www.recession-proofmarketing.com