Friday, May 9, 2008

Do you plan on losing more weight?

So I'm on the phone with my mentor and we're discussing me doing videos and DVDs to sell for my website. I'm not opposed to it but I'm just not photogenic and on video I look worse. And Kevin asks, "Are you planning on losing more weight?" Which to me implies that he thinks I'm fat.

Granted I'm not a size 4 or even a 6. I'm sure plenty of people would look at me and think I'm a little too large for my profession. I notice the surprised looks when I tell people that I'm a personal trainer.

Ok, I get it. Most people expect a female personal trainer to look like a fitness pageant contestant or body builder, and I certainly don't fit into either of those categories.

I have not been a gym bunny all my life. Heck I'm not even a gym bunny now. I don't workout hours a day. I'm just not that vain. And frankly that is part of what makes me so good at my job. I can relate to the average person who is trying to get in shape and lose weight.

I used to look like this:



In that picture (age 31,and yes, that really is me) I weighed 291 lbs. In Texas the proper term is "big as the side of the house".

So I think I look a great deal better now. And no, I don't plan on losing more weight...not much is going to change on my body until I have it surgically altered with a tummy tuck, or a body lift (same thing as a tummy tuck, though more skin is removed).

True, most people do a double take when I tell them what I do for a living and so many have suggested that I just do more abdominal exercise. I know they mean well but they are just uneducated. You cannot exercise away skin. And I guarantee my abs are way better than yours! Wanna see my 2-pack?

I try not to be offended when people ask me if I plan on losing more weight. I know they aren't intentionally trying to be rude...though it makes me wonder how bad I look for them to ask that question.

We girls are judged so critically on our appearance.

Regardless, I love what I do and I am very good at it.. I help people every day and that's what matters to me.

3 comments:

Sheridan Randolph said...

Well, for better or worse we are judged. All of us. Mercilessly. Actually, I like it. I'm sure Kevin was asking from a marketing perspective. To nichify. It's pretty spectacular what you've done, and there's a definite need for people who can duplicate your success in others. This is one of those things that is actually a strength for you. Incidentally, your vox blog pic looks great.

Btw, if you want me to appear in your workout vids, give me a few days notice so I can put on my fake tan.

Cheers,
Sheridan Randolph, Copywriter

Matthew Shields said...

Sabrina,
I second Sheridans comment on your new pics they do look great.
Judging is a way of life you can either be bothered by it or embrace it and draw strength from it.
So what if Kevin really did think you were going to loose more weight, or maybe I assumed the same...So what who cares. What you have done is absolutely amazing. You need to know that and be proud of it.
This not being photogenic crap, I completely disagree you do look great make the video's
When you put together the idea I told you about I've got buyers here for you
Focus Your Energy
Matthew Shields

Dr Peter Helton said...

I am proud of you. That took an enormous amount of will power.

Dr Helton, making your skin beautiful without surgery, nationally renowned Cosmetic Dermatologist